Place of business: London, England.
Dates of business: Circa 1778-1830*
*Per Langwill: Workshop established by two brothers George Peter and John Jacob.
C 1778-83 as “George & John Astor” as flute makers; 1783 John Jacob left for Baltimore/MD, where active first as dealer in WWI's then in New York as merchant in “Furs & Pianos”, later in real estate, amassing a legendary fortune; from 1784 as “George Astor”, by c1798 as “George Astor & Co.” or “Astor & Co.”, also active as MI dealer, music seller, publisher, later pianoforte maker, by 1801 organ builder, c1807-c1811 also as Astor & Lucas; 1813 his widow successor, c1814-1819 in partnership with Horwood as Astor & Horwood;1824-1827 also in partnership with Gerock as “Gerock & Astor”; 1830 last directory listing. Byrne suggests that on arrival in Engalnd they may have worked first with G. Miller.
Date of this fife: Circa 1799
This fife is marked:G Astor & Co, London, Head of a Unicorn
Length of Instrument: 16 3/8 in
Diameter of Instrument: .897 in
Wood: Appears to be Boxwood
Key of Instrument: Bb
The spacing on the holes is as follows:
Swell: A little before the embouchure hole.
Ferrules: Brass/seamed/2 + 2 scoring.
Copyright © fifemuseum.com.